DOHERTY BY SEA



Saturday, October 16, 2010

Mauritius Island, Indian Ocean





































Hi All,












"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly,go into the world and do good." (minor Myers Jr)
The pictures tell the story in Mauritius. It is visually beautiful. The people are mostly Hindu and mixed. Our stop was brief . We hit the beach the 1st day then I got my chance to fish. I chartered a boat . The boat was a Mauritius designed hull. 42' I figured it was my chance to catch a Marlin. We were a month early which didn't mean we didn't have a shot at a blue or Black Marlin. Mauritius held the world record for the blue marlin from 1966' until 1984 ---(1420lbs)
No luck on the Marlin , we caught 6 bonito and used them for live bait, we had the water column pretty well covered using down riggers w/ 2 baits and running a 3rd just on the surface w/ a slow troll . The set up and the water looked good but no dice.
We then changed out the tackle for Yellow Fin Tuna and Dorado. I was lucky to hook and land my 1st Dorado (Mahi- Mahi) gorgeous fish . I then landed 2 Yellow fin Tuna. So it was a good day. I wasn't able to paint them :( .
Traci had her work cut out for her after the 2nd day - did you know college students love to party!! With that comes along all kinds of drunken injuries. "Been there done that as they say :)"
We are now off to India! We are heading NE for 2600 Nautical miles.
Our current position :
Latitude -13' 56.4S
Longitude - 063' 25.0E
Course 41'
sea depth - 10954 feet
wind 21 knots ENE
seas 3-5 feet
We are just about half way through our voyage w/ many short stops after India.
Everyone is doing well . It is quite a special thing to be doing for our family and we don't forget it. It is certainly a busy way to live in tight quarters w/ so many people I'd say the thing we miss the most is private family time but we work to achieve that in the different ports .
Take care and thanks for the nice comments it's good to hear from you. Keep me posted on how the Pats are doing




jd

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for two great pictures.We love seeing you all. Snorkling in the Indian Ocean! Wow!Happy day! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures are great especially the one of Traci and the kids. The girls look so old and Declan is adorable. You look good too John!!! I know what you mean about private family time - my mom & I lived with my sister Paula & family for 3 months and couldn't wait to get back into our own home... Lastly I loved the comment about the college students - being a non-drinker I know what Traci probably witnessed. Take Care - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures...amazing fish. I'm getting excited about my little stint at Wellesley Marketplace! A month away now...
    Hugs to all of you. We miss you like crazy! - Z

    ReplyDelete