DOHERTY BY SEA



Sunday, November 28, 2010

Long Pacific Reflection
















Hi All,





It has been such an amazing journey. Because of my status on the ship (basically Dad) I've enjoyed being able to write a little something and show pictures about where we have been and what it was like for us as a family. We have tried to learn from each country and culture we have encountered. I think Traci and I were able to clear our minds of preconceived expectation's of the destinations we had in store. This was good for two reasons , First, it kept the research and excitement high all the time and secondly we were open to except what ever came our way.




I have to tell you we were often surprised. For example I really had no idea what to think of Vietnam. I'll I knew was movies and documentary work on the US involvement in the war . I was born in 65' I wonder what my parents thought at the time? Going to Vietnam we found the people very friendly and happy to show you their world. I think they want to get past that time in history. They are an ingenious and industrious people.


Traci and I could come up w/ so many examples of experiences that en lighted us about another part of the world. It has been so special to "free the dock lines" and explore how some other people live, work and interact . The US is certainly not the center of everyone's world.


It also helps me appreciate how America has achieved so much since all people started making way to the new land.


This voyage has also given us a perspective of a new generation born in 1990ish. It is great to see the dreamers, those idealistic and passionate kids who honestly want to make a difference. The professors on the ship encourage everyone to learn, share, care. Sustainability of our plants resources , energy , water, the oceans have been on the forefront of any discussion about how one country or another gets it done. It never changes , education is the one thing in this world that will help us carry on and bring us closer to peace w/ each other. I don't have to be Buddhist or Muslim(fanatic's aside) to respect their choice and on the other hand I don't want to be told how I should live or pray.


Archbishop Desmond TuTu has experienced so much in his long life of caring and I don't think he could be definded by a religion. He believes in the good in everyone , and karma . we all can try a little each day to begin to make a difference . Nothing gets done w/out taking the 1st step.




Well that's it for today


best j


latitude 26' 7' N


longitude 171' 051' E


course 105'


sea swell 8 feet


sea condtions 3 feet




depth 19029 feet ( did you know the ocean greatest depth is 7 miles!




1700 nm to Hawaii


closest point of land ( 598 miles to Midway Island (USA) ) ....longtime since the closest point of land has been US soil !


2 comments:

  1. Oh my,John,that is not "so much for today." You have absorbed so much and helped us to see our world and the people in it differently and with compassion and understanding that like you we can also try to make a difference. It is so much for the future not just today. Thank you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Johnnie and Traci,
    Wow! What a journey you have been on and thank you for letting us learn and share it with you. It has been truly enlightening to see your pictures and hear through your words a most amazing experience of "really seeing" the world and its people! I have shared some blogs with my 8th grade students and they have been fascinated to hear about your travels. The blogging they do for me in English class is a bit more mundane to say the least. All is well here. Give my love to the kids. Can't wait to see you all home safe for the holidays. Love, Martha

    ReplyDelete