DOHERTY BY SEA



Tuesday, September 21, 2010

AFRICA...

I cannot believe it's been nearly 14 years since I left West Africa... I am overjoyed to be returning to share it with Johnnie and the kids. Naturally I wish we were going to see my beloved Guineans, but perhaps our stay in Ghana will be a good intro for everyone! I traveled to Ghana in 1996 with other PC friends. My favorite part of our trip was our travels to Kumasi, which is the cultural center for the Ashanti people. Unfortunately it is too far for us to travel there this time. We will focus more on the southern region near to Takoradi where we will dock. We are going to stay in a coastal town Aswaa the first night. We will hopefully be able to visit a village school while there. Also hoping Johnnie will get to fish! The girls and I are also hoping to visit an orphanage on Saturday. The kids in our children's program have been hard at work making friendship bracelets to bring to the children. We will also visit a "water village" where the houses are built on stilts - something I never came across during my stay in W. Africa.

We have been fortunate enough to have several Ghanaians on board since we left Morocco to give country specific lectures on politics, culture, history, etc. Even the kids have benefited from a talk given by the interport-student Rebecca who is a university student in Accra, and Joe, the interport lecturer who embodies the West African spirit. Yesterday they did a wonderful comparison of Ghanaian and American children pointing out that in reality, they are both really the same despite the color of their skin and their homelands. They talked about Ghanaian dress, food, language, children's games and traditions. Layne and Anna really enjoyed it - even Declan participated! Today the kids will participate in a child-focussed lecture on reducing waste. We're hoping it will rub off on them and their waste of food. Mealtime unfortunately is trying at times. Today however, a major battle was won... it was the first day of antimalarial medications. Fortunately they will only take it for twelve days, but anyone with small children understands the daunting task of convincing a little one that they HAVE to take a small, very bitter pill OR ELSE...! We had a few strategies that actually worked: Anna by some act of God actually won her mental battle and convinced herself that she COULD indeed swallow a pill - even the two pills that she is required to take! Needless to say, she is very proud of herself! Layne, naturally just took it like a champ and didn't complain. She did actually admit that it "tasted real bad" which must mean that it's really bad! Declan, on the other hand, was overjoyed to play a game, "how many Smarties + one antimalarial pill can you eat at once?!" Whatever it takes.... that's my motto!

Well, I will definitely try to post another blog very soon. I am having a really hard time keeping up with the daily postings of Captain Ron! I finally got around to writing a very, long detailed blog last night and as I was about to publish it, I lost the internet connection --- agggh! So this is about the best I can do right now. Can't wait to tell you all about our travels in Ghana. Hope you are all well and that you keep following our travels... Traci

6 comments:

  1. Hi Traci & John - Since I joined facebook I've been following your blog - the trip sounds amazing!!! I'm glad the kids are adjusting well and hope the sick times are over, haha.. Tell Anna I am very proud of her for taking her pill like the big girl she is. Say hi to Layne & Declan for me. The biggest change in my life is that my mom & I moved from Malden to Middleboro! I'll be in touch again, soon. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!!! Once again, I really feel like I am on the trip with you guys!!! Thanks again so much for the updates, I love the strategy with the pills...keep the stories coming!!! Enjoy!
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations with the pills! Very clever! Please tell the 3 of them Grammie is so proud of them and to keep up the good work. The info you get before you arrive in these ports is so impressive. Thank you for telling us about it.Good to hear from you Traci, sounds like you are busy with your role on the ship. Looking forward to more stories. I am happy for you to share Africa withJ,A,L and D.Love to all, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just heartd from Elizabeth..Garrett Hugh Berube has arrived..7lbs 14oz. Catherine and baby all wonderful Liz says baby adorable.I am bringing the kids to see him tomorrow. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Trac! Good to read your post...I can hear your voice and I miss you. Sounds like you are having an incredible time. I am loving the photos and wonderful stories. Give the three lil monkeys hugs from Z & T.D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hon; wonderful news. i'm sure you're so excited to share Africa with Johnnie and the kids. i'm pretty sure you're able to communicate as well as you did when you left.
    i'm so proud of Anna; please tell her Bubbi and Bump are thrilled that she's able to handle the pills. nothing too much new here; heading to NH next week to give T&K a hand. tell Johnnie good luck with the fishing. love and miss you all. Bump

    ReplyDelete