DOHERTY BY SEA



Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Heading to South America by Sea


Hello,

We have travelled nearly a thousand nautical miles since leaving CR. The kids had their 1st day of “home schooling” . One thing this voyage teaches Traci and I is patience and flexibility. We are working on journals, studying the countries we will be visiting as well as math. We are trying to apply what we are doing to each lesson.

For example:The conversion of $1 to Costa Rican Colones is roughly 500 to 1. 

Declan is to be adapting to Apple technology probably just the way the Apple software engineers developed it. It is so interesting to see. His ability to navigate the touch screen and turn things on an off look like second nature when I watch him. I’m not saying he is solving many problems but he is learning. The alphabet and number games are fun and repetitive.

We met a very nice family , Jenine and Dave w/ their kids Shannah, ella and Nathan. The kids are 13,10,7  two girls and a boy in the same order as ours.

The parents met on SAS 21 yrs ago!

The seas have been calm by most standards and we are all fine . It does effect some people so Traci has had to deal w/ quite a bit of sea sickness and a kid who tripped down the stairs.



“Your wasting your time if what you are is what you have been.” 



I interpret it to mean we have the chance to grow every day , be more caring, less selfish, further reach, better understanding of other cultures, study more of what we enjoy …



Signing off , the kids are waking up

JD

Latitude 01’.37.99S

Longitude 082’.20.42W

Speed 19.4 Knots

Course 168’

We crossed the Equator last night , I guess you could say we have Travelled a bit when our kids have crossed it 4 times already and Traci and I more than that.

6 comments:

  1. Hi John, It sounds like you had a productive day.
    Yes, home schooling does teach you patience and flexibility. I had to do it on one of my nanny jobs - am amazed that parents do it year after year! It's great that Declan is doing so well on the computer - I guess the younger they are in learning it the easier it is. My 31/2 year old great niece gets on my brothers apple as if she's been doing it for years!! Well have a great day and I'll check in tomorrow! Love, Lisa Pizza

    ReplyDelete
  2. JD - Sounds like yet another great advneture and looks like the kids have lots of companions!! I am hard at work on the Spanish CDs and can say with confidence that "No entiendo espanol pero hablo un poco" That should get me far!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This all sounds so great! Tell Anna that spelling homework this week is the names of states and capitols, maybe they can shake it up to make it names of countries and capitols in South America! Our girls miss your girls and will write an email soon. Keep the great blogs and pictures coming. The quotes are fun too! xo from the Lesser Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Johnnie,
    I see that you guys are enjoying the trip! Today was my last day of high school and I can't believe it. I got your card today and wanted to thank you for the check! It means a lot, and I plan on putting the money towards a laptop to bring to GW. Thank you for the number too, it's in my phone now.
    Love, Brendan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh, miss you at 'school'!! I have an art activity that I think the kids aboard will enjoy and ties into your time at sea. I will email it to you.

    Like the quote -- and the interpretation!

    Enjoy the day!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a meaningful quote John. May we all try to live by your thoughtful interpetation. Being present with the kids while they are learning is a special gift to see there minds expand..especially Declan. Keep your patience aand your flexibility. It always rewards you.
    Enjoy Peru.
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete