DOHERTY BY SEA



Sunday, May 27, 2012

COPRODELI


Hola,

“Even when they are not around anymore, great friends inspire you to do great things”

When I found this quote yrs ago I knew it would continue to be relevant as long as I lived.

I’m not saying here that I/ we have done something great but through my very good friend Gin, who has been a human rights lawyer for the UN for many yrs mainly in Latin America we met w/ a special person here in Peru.

Her name is Ruthie Eisenberg, she works for www.facebook.com/coprodeli.us

www.coprodeliusa.org . It is an organization that builds and runs schools , med clinics, mental health clinics , job training for disadvantaged children and families.



Ruthie was so generous w/ her time and local knowledge. We rode to a part of Callao that was in very tough shape in a “psycho bus”  Picture a mini van that has been tortured and completely stuffed w/ people riding as fast as possible on a track like the Baja 1000 . Noise and chaotic traffic abound, we clipped an 18 wheeler w/ out a thought of tapping the breaks. Anna seemed to love this, she was laughing the crazier it got (a sure sign she is my kid)

We arrived at the school and were treated to a tour and many polite children. The schools coral ensemble about 18 children strong sang two special local songs just for us. 

It was just what we look for in our travels , a chance to see past the tourist spots to a small taste of a real day in a culture foreign to us. The poverty and sanitation in some parts was not unlike parts of  India we walked through. Mind you we have stayed closer to the city (Traci is on call) so we have not seen the rural side of this country.

Ruthie told Traci to get ready for some horrible gastric issues for any student who taketh a sip of water or try the local delicacy if cheviche .



We did try a local dish that was cooked , don’t know the name but the foundation for this creation was a brick of yellow potato like substance followed by a layer of guacamole colored stuff then another brick of the yellow stuff topped w/ octopus and crab all covered w/ a thin thousand island like sauce. It was good, mind you I would not put it in the weekly rotation but once a yr will work J



 If Traci doesn’t have to go to the hospital , she has a few patients in tough shape right now and probably 70% of ships population is away visiting Machu Picchu …

We plan to go swimming w/ Sea lions before departing this evening for Equator .



Best to all Capt. Ron



Still tied to the dock in Callao



5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Johnnie! Little did I know when I gave birth to you that I would be saying Happy Birthday to you on another continent. May you enjoy your "birthday" adventures today! Anna is a brave little girl. Good for her. Sounds like an exciting day you had. I am so glad you and Gin have remained such good long time friends. Dec looks so grown up in that picture. Blessings,Birthday Boy!
    Love,Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, Happy Birthday! It sounds like your trip to the school was a lot of fun! I don't know if the ride there would have been my cup of tea but I'm glad Anna had a blast... How was the rest of the family with the ride? It's wonderful that you got to meet polite kids and hear some of them sing! I think kids seem to like to perform for people that might appreciate it. When I was in the chorus in Jr. High every spring we would go to the different Elementary Schools and give concerts to the kids. My fondest memory of those times was how you could hear a pin drop because the kids loved the singing so much! I have to say you are brave trying the local dishes but as you said it's only once a year!! Well the pictures are great and I hope you got to swim with the Sea Lions! Until Next Time - Love Lisa Pizza

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHNNIE! Your adventures today sounded crazy. I would have been petrified in that wild ride. Glad you are all doing well and having such cool experiences. Weather here has been nice and warm. Thanks for the $$ for Brendan's grad gift...so nice of you!Say hi to Traci and the kids. I love all of the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated wishes on your birthday Johnnie. I'm guessing Traci was as comfortable on that ride as Anna; normal travel in Guinea Bisseau. Missed you all this weekend but had a wonderful time with T&K and the boys. Safe travels. Bump

    ReplyDelete