DOHERTY BY SEA



Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Real Packing has commenced



AROUND THE WORLD IN 110 DAYS...AN ADVENTURE OF A LIFETIME!
Three children under age 8, a mom and dad, 110 days at sea...how does one prepare?! I have been having frequent flashbacks to
when I was 23 years old, packing for what at the time was my "adventure of a lifetime", Peace Corps service in Guinea-Bissau,
West Africa. The task seemed daunting as I tried to imagine what I could possibly need for two years living in the matu! The
key word here is "I"! Now I find myself scratching my head trying to cover all bases to satisfy the needs of two girls ages 8
and 5, and a whirling dirvish of a little boy, age 2 and their father, a third world beginner !(mainly carribbean Islands and Central America)!
Here is a glance at the numbers:
150 Malarone pills

1080 baby wipes

425 size 5 Huggie diapers

45 fruit roll ups

80 fruit snacks

7 jars of Skippy peanut butter

120 granola bars

5 lb. bag of assorted candies & treats! (think bribes and trick or treating!)

3 homeschooling binders

7.5 lbs of Goldfish snacks

56 oz. Purell

50 oz. Sunscreen
2 Fishing rods and tackle for the boys!
Box of paints ,brushes and canvas

2 American Girl Dolls

1 stuffed Eeyore

1 stuffed gorilla named Gloria

11 pairs of shoes

96 Silly Bandz

54 colorful erasers and pencils to give away to children we meet...
So that is just a snapshot of the initial go-around for our packing! The fun part will be to decide on clothes for four
continents and varied climates, and sporadic laundry every two weeks!
Hope you continue to follow our journey...
Traci

3 comments:

  1. Do you have room for hugs and kisses from us? Love this blog, keep it coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you don't get hammered on the overweight charges flying down! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SOOOO excited to to see this. I look forward to reading of the adventures and seeing the pictures. I still can't wrap my head around that many diapers! Be sure to let us know if you wind up treating Desmond Tutu ;-).

    hugs, hugs + more hugs :: Sarah

    ReplyDelete